Greeting Cards from Buc~A~Buc Farm

Sunday, August 25, 2019

So Hornets apparently have hit lists. And I'm on it.


Well, I just finished leaping around the house, running from another stupid HORNET!  ~sigh~  And as I type this, I can STILL hear them hitting the door trying to get in.

Two days ago Gregg was pulling weeds and ended up disturbing a ground nest of yellow jackets and got stung. The day before that, I got nailed by hornets.  We were able to find the ground hole for the yellow jackets and after dark, Gregg filled it with Die Bug Die.  Hopefully that is the end of the Yellow Jackets!

He also sprayed the Lilac (again) where we'd seen several hornets this evening. Probably the ones that got me the other day. :( The buzzards.


Unfortunately, spraying them (again) did nothing other than tick them off.    About 30 minutes ago I opened the deck door (well after dark) and one immediately zoomed in. I think they were waiting for me.  I slammed the door shut just as another one hit the glass.  But ONE got in.  I took off, and told Rebekah to get in her room.  She shrieked, ran down the hallway, and slammed the door.  (That child doesn't need to be told twice!) Meanwhile, I ran and got Gregg. The hornet's flying around, we're running and dodging. Finally we turned off all but one light in the house. It flew there and immediately began trying to sting the light shade! Gregg knocked it down and stomped it. Three times.  Ohhhh how I despise these nasty critters.  

And now I just read Hornets have some sort of attack pheromone.  Apparently when a hornet is killed it releases pheromones. These pheromones can get on your clothes or skin and can be detected by other hornets, causing them to attack. Apparently, they’re not happy you killed their cousin.  Well isn’t that just great?  And what about the dead body of Harry house hornet, currently lying in state in my kitchen trash can? I'm sure he filled half my kitchen with his pheromones. Oy.  (I wonder if hornets can pick locks?)

In any event, tomorrow, after I have burned my clothes and scrubbed my skin off,  I'll take the LONG way around to turn out the critters.  No way I'm passing the Lilac House O' Hornets again until winter. 

2 comments:

  1. "Apparently when a hornet is killed it releases pheromones. These pheromones can get on your clothes or skin and can be detected by other hornets, causing them to attack." ohhhhh that's why nothing ever stings me! I'm always catching everything in a glass or something and letting them out. Maybe you should redeem yourself by doing the same thing xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see me trying to catch these things in a glass now! HAHAHAHA!!!! And though I thankfully AM redeemed, it's sure not by these hornets! They have taken my name and want my hide! LOL!!! 😂

    ReplyDelete