Greeting Cards from Buc~A~Buc Farm

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Varmint Attack!

We lost five babies today to a raccoon.  Four chicks and a keet.  Babies were in my safest pen, but because it was warm last night roosted out on the wire instead of their wooden hutch.  This is rat wire.  The opening is about as big as your little finger nail.  Not even a snake can get through.  Still, their toes poke through enough for a racoon to grab hold and PULL.  And pull it did.  Three are missing most of their toes with other injuries. One is missing their entire leg.  One was basically skinned.  All were dead or beyond hope of survival and had to be put down.  I am so sad and absolutely disgusted.  So tired of fighting off these varmints.  They kill my chickens and rabbits, and also pull down and destroy my bird feeders AND my hummingbird feeder.  UGH.  I have caught them numerous times in the act of trying to get into my pens.  Next time - there will not be a next time.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for theese poor animals. It was a horrible way to die. But we also need to remember that the racoon was hungry and tried to survive. Can't blame an animal for being an animal. Nontheless, it's a tragedy for the lives that were lost. I hope nothing like that happens again

    ReplyDelete