Greeting Cards from Buc~A~Buc Farm

Monday, September 3, 2012

Broiler Chicks - Day 11

Not much new to report other than I picked up another bag of feed.   At eleven days old they’ve gone through about 30 pounds.  I'm guessing it will take another two weeks or so for them to eat the rest of the 70# we have on hand.  Each day they consume a bit more than the day before.

Expenses so far (not counting electric and supplies such as bedding/heat lamps, waterers, etc.):


  • $38.50 for the chicks 
  • $59.38 for 2 fifty pound bags of "Organic Soy-Free Broiler Feed" 


No new losses since the single chick on day two.  Everyone is healthy, strong, and growing.  We are 45 days from butchering.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cindy, where did you get the feed? I'm getting ready to order meaties and would like to use organic feed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie, I'm getting mine from the co-op in town. It's PRICEY. Sarah said she has found a source for non-GMO that is less but she wasn't certain if it was organic. Plus you have to buy quite a bit at a time. I have the guys number but still haven't gotten around to calling him yet as I don't think I can handle that much feed at one time - even if it does turn out it's organic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, I'd forgotten that the co-op started carrying organic feed. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete