Greeting Cards from Buc~A~Buc Farm

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Broiler Chicks at 4 Weeks

The Broiler Chicks are now four weeks old.  I dunno.  It just seems to me they should be bigger at this point.  I was going to put them on pasture this week, but decided to wait one more week. They still have ample room in their brooder box (there is lots of space behind the camera) so it seems it will be better as far as putting weight on them to stay there a bit longer.

Here's the latest video:


As you can see, they have definitely grown since last week, but I just cant wrap my brain around the idea they will be "eating size" in just four more weeks.  Hmmm.... perhaps six?  We shall see.

In any event they continue to be very healthy and have voracious appetites.   The only change to report at this point is today I removed the pine chip bedding floor and they are now on rat wire for better ventilation.  The heat lamp remains on at night or if it's an especially cold or rainy day.

Next week they will definitely go in the grow out pen to be on pasture and get more sunshine than the brooder box allows through its windows.

I have to admit I'm getting a bit fond of them, though I've purposefully kept my distance.  Still, I do see their little personalities coming through. Having said that, they are very flighty birds and don't seem like they would make good pets.  I also understand they are not good layers.

We are twenty eight days from butchering.



No comments:

Post a Comment