Greeting Cards from Buc~A~Buc Farm

Monday, August 27, 2012

Broilers - Day 4

My sixteen y/o son Ben has decided he'd like to take over the broiler project.  I think this is a great idea, though I'm still going to keep track and be in charge of this first batch.   I'm so wrapped up in this, I really want to track and see the end cost/result. 

He will be taking over their care, but I'm going to stay on board just for my own interest.  After this batch, if he'd like to continue, it will be entirely him.  I'm very happy he's decided to pursue this.  It will likely be a nice little business for him to save some college money, and I'm glad he's stepping up.  He also plans to develop a page on my website.  Sounds great!  Go, Ben!
_________________

As of day four we have lost one chick.  This occurred on the second day, and really, losing one or two the first three days is to be expected.   Everyone else seems to be thriving and, yes, GROWING.  They are still on Countryside Organics. It's GMO free, no chemical fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides used in the growing of the grains, and there are no antibiotics in the feed.  I like the label but the cost is pretty high.  Searching for a cheaper source.   A friend has a lead on some non-GMO feed, but is not sure it is organic.  Also, I'd have to buy in high quantities.  With little to no storage around here, it looks like a dead end.  Also, the feed needs to be organic as my customers have made it abundantly clear this is what they are looking for.

So far, we've only had one hic-cup:  Yesterday (a chilly and rainy day) our breaker blew and the heat lamp went out. Fortunately Ben noticed pretty early on, and reset the breaker before anyone got chilled.  YAY, Ben.  I was not home and would not have discovered it for several hours, possibly resulting in some losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment